Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Quirky Tale of April Hale



Review by : Sweetness_in_Madness


Author : demonicblackcat


Length : 27 parts / 103 pages


Main Genres : Teen Fiction / Humor


Rating : 5 out of 5 







Self-proclaimed weirdo April Hale and the notorious troublemaker Ryder Black have been living side by side for more than ten years. Both never attempted to communicate with each other, but on the night Ryder Black is thrown out by his own father, he asks her a question that might change both of their lives: “March, will you let me stay in your room?” He even got her name wrong. - A coming of age story about loss, the wonders of falling in love, and ultimately, pretending to be normal. Get inside April's distorted and yet humorous perspective, and watch as her tale unfolds into a shocking finish.




So probably from the rating of this book your probably thinking that I loved it. WELL YOUR DAMN RIGHT I DID!!

And from my last ratings of books that were pretty good and that I did thoroughly enjoy, this book has got to be pretty darn good, well for me at least.
This book isn't a very serious book, I mean it is serious, but the author does cover most of that up with humor. Now I have been with this book since.....chapter 16 or 17 I would say, and no, that isn't anything special ok, no I was not the one to leave the "first comment" or "first vote" but you know what! I was her muse, so beat that.




Noooo I wasn't, calm your horses,well if you have any, if not..

Anyways!

Spelling and grammar were great, your obviously going to find a few mistakes here and there but nothing major. And the humor!! Holy magnuna (I just made that word up on the spot so if its offensive in another language I strongly apologize) the humor is awesome! I laughed at least 7 times in every chapter, and even with the more serious chapters I laughed at least twice. 

And now let's talk about April, the chick loves Star Wars, do I need to go on? So most main female characters in books aren't big fans of Star Wars, and it's pretty much almost never mentioned in 55% of Romance, Humor, or even Teen Fiction books, at least no books that I've come across.
So the fact that she even SPOKE like Yoda when she got nervous was a revelation for me! AND! To put the cherry on top, she quoted Han Solo! And my girlfriend (my best friend who's a girl) knows I love my Han Solo, forget how old the actor is (Harrison Ford) Han Solo is and will always be, young. Well that is until Star Wars episode 7 comes out, because apparently that will be a few years later and since Harrison Ford will be playing Han Solo again that means Han Solo will be older, darn it, does that mean my crush on him will become pervy when the movie comes out?

Anyways, lets get back on conversation about April. Other than her talking about, quoting, and loving Star Wars, April has been one of my most favorite and enjoyable to read characters, she's down to earth in her own way, when she wants to or needs to figure something out, or learn something, she will try her hardest. She's weak but yet a strong willed character, in my eyes at least. Oh, and she's hilarious.

Now on to the main male character, Ryder. Now the definitely more cliche thing about this book is that Ryder is a bad boy, lives next to April, and street fights, has tattoos, fights with his parents, and all the cliche things of a bad boy, but yet there is that unique aurora about Ryder, which made me like this book even more. And he didn't do the dumb ass things like when him and April would have a fight he would go to the bar get drunk and make out with some other girl, although I do think he did go out and get drunk, he didn't do anything that stupid. and again, he wasn't all, "Oh I need to push her away, because of this and this and this." No he was like "Screw it." He liked April, wanted her, and he went to get her.

And if any of you guys are a prude like me, yes ok, I am a prude, just so you know they didn't have any intercourse, and yes that's what I call it, the other word is awkward for me to say and definitely more awkward for me to type. You see what I mean? Prude, is that even what its called though?

Now at first the book was called 'The Bad Boy live in my room' or something like that,and by the description, you already know how their *clears throat* "romance" started, and the only reason I type it like that is because their romance isn't like a lot of the others, they don't go on super romantic dates, or say super romantic things to each other, the things April finds romantic or cute or whatever, since I never read her say "Oh that was so romantic" would be goofy to me, I mean I wouldn't complain, but do you understand how I'm trying to explain their romance? It's FUNNY! It's CUTE! But steamy and ROMANTIC would not be it, yes there is romance since I'm petty sure there has to be for a relationship to kind of last, but like I said, their romance is just goofy. But enough of me trying to explain their romance, if you want to know what I'm trying to explain go and read the book.

 And for the rest of the characters, her parents, who for once didn't divorce, cheat on each other, or fight constantly, her brother who I loved, as in think he was awesome!? Duh, hehe. No seriously though that's how I meant it, her two friends, or best friends, don't really remember, who weren't really in the book as much, Andrew I think his name was, you know that one guy who chases the girl but doesn't end up with her. Yeah that was him. Alex, and the rest of the character who just add and make the book what it is! To find out, and actually know who they are, go and read 'The Quirky Tale of April Hale'.

The Quirky Tale of April Hale 

-Madness

1 comment:

  1. Omfg i didn't even notice this book was finished. I've been waiting for this book to complete just in case she leaves again for a while. I'd read it since it was like till Chapter six and it stopped there and then i was like HELLLL NOOOOO (this was when it was the bad boy lives in my room) then after like a few months she came back but i wanted it to finish before reading. I AM GOING TO READ IT NOW
    ciao

    ReplyDelete